HOW TO MAKE LENTIL DAHL
This is a very easy recipe which you will love. Here’s how to make it:
- Start by rinsing the red lentils, then drain.
- Add canola oil to a large pan and sauté the onion on medium heat.
- Then add ginger, turmeric, green chili, and minced garlic and fry for one minute until the garlic is fragrant and turns golden.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir in drained lentils. Simmer until the lentils are cooked and the mixture is thick and creamy. Serve with basmati rice and naan or chapati bread and enjoy the flavors of India from the comfort of your home!
In case any Dahl is left, feel free to freeze it and enjoy the deliciousness later.
Delicious and easy Lentil Dahl Recipe that is delicious and fragrant. It is healthy and packed with plant-based protein.
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
- 300 grams lentils red
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 onion
- 2 cm ginger root finely minced
- 2 cm turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds ground
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 green chilli stemmed, deseeded and minced
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp coriander leaves fresh
Start by washing the red lentils then drain.
Place a large pan over medium heat. Add canola oil.
Saute the onion until soft and translucent.
Add ginger, turmeric, chili and minced garlic and fry for one minute until the garlic is fragrant but not burnt.
Add the rest of spices and stir well.
Add veggie stock.
Add coconut milk.
Stir in red lentils.
Bring to boil. Then cover and simmer until lentils are cooked and the mixture is thick and creamy. Stir every 5 minutes to make sure it doesn't stick to the pan.
Serve with basmati rice and naan or chapati bread.
Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves to garnish.
- Fresh turmeric can be substituted with 2 tsp dried turmeric.
- 1 cup of veggie stock amounts to 250 ml.
- 1 can of coconut milk is about 400 ml.
- Green chili pepper can be minced serrano for spicy flavor and jalapeno for mild flavor.
- This recipe is freezer friendly.